ESCROW PROCESS & TIMETABLE
Many home buyers are confused by the seemingly complicated and drawn-out process of buying a home. A particular area of confusion seems to revolve around the escrow process, which is why most homebuyers are more comfortable working with a REALTOR® to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Let`s look at the somewhat complex escrow process.
Once you or your agent working on your behalf has made a purchase offer for a property that you are interested in, the offer must be accepted by both parties. The transaction will then head into what is known as escrow. This process involves a third party who will control the steps that are necessary to complete the sale, including the completion of disclosures, titles search, insurance, inspections of the property, pest inspections, and more. The escrow process can last from a few weeks to a couple of months and is dependent upon a number of factors, including the desires of the seller and buyer, the timetable for funding, and other considerations. The real estate agent will monitor the escrow process and keep you informed of how escrow is progressing, and when a step arises that requires your attention. Once everything is completed during the escrow process, the funds will be disbursed to the seller and you will be given the keys to your home. The following timeline is a basic timeline of how escrow works, and is intended for informational use only. Escrow timelines can change based on a variety of factors.
- Escrow agent receives the purchase and sale agreement from the REALTOR®. A new file is opened. The escrow agent will then send initial instructions on escrow to the seller and the buyer and may request more information about the transaction. The REALTOR® handles all information requests.
- After receiving a preliminary title, escrow will mail the title to the parties. Escrow agents will then begin to clear off any mortgages, lines, judgments and so on from the title.
- The escrow agent will prepare the necessary documents that are needed to close the sale, including the warranty deed, settlement statement, excise tax affidavit, and any documents that are required by the IRS.
- Escrow will typically receive the loan document from your lender about four days prior to closing.
- The escrow agent will prepare a settlement statement that reflects items like the loan charges to the buyer and so on, and will copy these documents for the buyer and prepare the entire file for final signing. An appointment will be made for the seller and the buyer to meet to sign the closing papers. At this time, the escrow agent will advise the buyer, if prior advisement has not been made, about the funds needed to close the sale.
- Seller and buyer will sign closing documents and the buyer will make the dispensation of closing funs. The buyer will sign a couple of days prior to closing.
- The loan documents will be sent from escrow to the lender for review, and will send the deed or deed of trust to the title company. The title company will hold on to the title until the sale is closed.
- The lender will review the documents and approve them. After approval by the lender, the escrow agent will grant permission for the title company to record the documents.
- The escrow agent will receive the funds for the lender via a wire transfer. Escrow will then receive a recording number from the title company that indicates that the documents have been recorded. This signifies that the closing has been made.
- Escrow will then disburse funds to the lender. A final settlement statement will be sent to all parties involved.
As you can see, the process of escrow is best handled by a licensed REALTOR® who works with lenders, escrow agents, and other professionals on a regular basis. Contact us now if you are interested in buying a home or selling your home. We can guide you through the process and do all the paperwork for you. Buying or selling a home is an intricate and somewhat complicated process that involves lots of legal jargon and paperwork. Let us be your guide as you take this momentous step in life. Call us now!
Our mission is to exceed your expectations and help you achieve your real estate goals. We love to hire veterans and partner with veteran-owned companies that allow us to provide bundled savings to our customers. It is our great honor to serve you and your family.
Stay up to date with the latest from U.S. Veterans Realty. We love connecting with clients on social media. Follow us, tweet at us, tag us – we want to hear from you!
Copyright © 2020 U.S. Veterans Realty. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by U.S. Veterans Marketing, LLC